The redevelopment of Chapel Park Primary School in Forfar has taken a big step forward with building works taking place in the property and contractor signage being erected on the boundary of the site. The site is to be redeveloped into affordable flats and new build units within the grounds of the town centre location.
1862 records show that the site was occupied by the Burgh Academy, being a simple rectangular structure with two access stairs either side of the building. designed by David Logan (Montrose) 1815. A 2-storey 5-window ashlar-fronted original block, centre 3 recessed with giant Greek doric order; parapet; pedimented Greek doric porches; later set-back wings, approximately symmetrical in appearance 6-window on west, 4-window on east.
Between 1904 and 1939, various additions were made at the site, expanding it’s size and capacity considerably.
Design proposals see the main Academy building retained and the frontage of the Annexe buildings, although a considerable block of the rear facing Annex will be demolished.
The full planning details can be found on Angus Council Planning Portal